- W: 10.00 am – 12.00 am: Introductions. Program Introduction, Course Structure & How We Work
- W: 13.00 pm – 15.00 am: Peer Partners. Student Roles. News Literacy Quiz. News Team & Roles. Notes and Prep for WK 2 Photography. Digital Platforms. Reminders.
Session Preparation – Pre-reading / watching
Bring your laptops, no need for camera gear.
Read and fulfill all tasks outlined in the pre reading week – http://www.beijingimmj.wordpress.com/01-prereading-week/
Assignments Week 1:
- 1) Prepare for your Student Role (Room / Library / Equipment Monitor etc) (1-2 hours)
- 2) Build your digital platform (4 hours)
- No need to finish your site, but you should start it and at the minimum create a basic home page. A page for your first assignment and an about page.
Portfolio box www.portfoliobox.net
3) News Literacy Week 2 – (4 hours) Complete the readings/viewings http://www.coursera.org/learn/news-literacy/home/week/2
- 4) Prepare for your Media News Team Role (3 hours) – we’ll have our first editorial meeting in WK3. So read up on your topic or platform
- 5) Check & read/view tutorials for your specific camera model (4 hours) – get comfortable with some basics including your specific camera model’s menu. (Shooting stills not video). Don’t forget to read your manual!
- 6) Find out what these terms mean. Exposure, Depth of Field, Shutter Speed, Aperture. (2 hours) You don’t need to really understand these concepts – we’ll be explaining them in class next week. It will help if you do a little pre-reading yourself first! You might try these links.
- 7) Watch LightRoom Editing Introduction tutorials (3 hours)
- You don’t need to try out the software, simply watch some LR tutorials, either on Multimedia Train or elsewhere online to familiarise yourself before class. Try these links
- MMT – http://www.multimediatrain.com/photo-editing-introduction
- MMT – http://www.multimediatrain.com/photo-editing-importing
- MMT – http://www.multimediatrain.com/photo-editing-exporting
- Adobe LR Tutorials – https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/tutorials.html
- GETTING STARTED WITH LIGHTROOM: 10 ESSENTIAL TIPS AND TECHNIQUES – http://www.tutvid.com/lightroom/getting-started-lightroom-10-essential-tips-techniques
- How to Use Lightroom: A Complete Tutorial for Beginners – http://www.photographylife.com/how-to-use-lightroom-a-tutorial-for-beginners#lightroom
Lightroom Tutorial for Beginners – Overview of EVERYTHING in 15 Mins – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN2jqsJgbBs
Optional Extra reading:
You need to deliver your Term 1 weekly assignments via a digital platform. We recommend WordPress.com or www.wix.com, but you could also try the others recommended. Tumblr is too limited and Chinese platforms largely unsuitable due to the fact that they use Chinese as navigation language. Feel free to find and try something completely new and impress us!
If you are new to websites I would advise wordpress.com and NOT wordpress.org, they are the same company. wordpress.com is more limited but free and easier to begin with. For wordpress.org you’ll need to pay to set up.
Take a look at this tutorial if you are a beginner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sseD8nR5B8Y#action=share
Want to know more about wordpress.com VS wordpress.org? Check out this explainer. If you do want to go with wordpress.org Blue-host often has special offers for wordpress.org. Here’s a handy link for setting up a wordpress.org site.
You might also want to check out the following links for tips on current digital platforms 15 blog platforms, Best Places to Start a Blog, 4 Free and Simple blog platforms, 3 New Blog Platforms,Best Blogging Platforms of 2014. I recommend spending half a day looking through options then picking one and spend half a day playing around. Remember it’s simply a space to upload your assignments.