Please note, you will receive feedback for your stories/projects in progress during reporting and editing weeks from tutors on specifically designated days to provide you with formative assessment to develop your stories and projects. However, if intermittent submission deadlines are missed or late, tutors will not feedback to you until the next designated feedback session, this means you will miss critical feedback and may fail, please note, students who fail Term 2practical modules largely do so due to missed interim deadlines and lack of formative feedback. Note, you are of course welcome to ask for extra feedback, advice, and support when urgent matters arise. Your tutors are here to support you – but you will need to take responsibility to hit deadlines and reach out when needed.
IMMJ T2W12 Reporting week 1 (3-8 April 2017)
- Mon 3 April – Project forms online at dropbox with all practice sections complete. Sharron to feedback on 3rd or 4th.
- Fri 7th April Project forms online at dropbox with theory sections for research questions finalized and research proposal draft due.
- Reporting all week.
IMMJ T2W13 Reporting week 2 (10-14 April 2017)
- Mon 10 April – 20-minute we-chat tutorials with Sharron for a briefing update on your first weeks reporting. Please prepare for this. I’ll need to know in clear and concise terms what you have achieved and any problems you are having. Sharron will email appointment times.
- Fri 14 April – Upload your project form with all practical sections complete to drop box
- Fri 14 April – Upload and email selected media assets to online URL links. (Youtube / Vimeo / Dropbox) or even better at your own working story/project URL. Assets may include items like first rough cuts of footage, or even clips sequenced together to give me an idea of visuals, interview transcribes and images. Viewing things on your actual URL would be optimum at this stage if possible. It could be the first rough version of your URL with an idea for the kind of a layout you want to achieve with some placeholders of assets. Due to the diverse approaches, students will be working in different ways – aim to get me the best presentation of your project to date. I will feedback on this via email. I will send out an email thread on Monday for you to reply to with URL links. (Do not send me folders that I have to download – I won’t do this).
IMMJ T2W14 REPORTING WEEK 3 (17-21 April 2017)
- Fri 21 April is the calendar scheduled IMMJ DEADLINE for your final story/ project rough edit online via story/project URL. Students will have remote feedback and tutorials if requested.
- Fri 21 April – Upload your project form with all sections complete to drop box
- Thurs 20 April – Email your 1000 News Feature text report to Michael Jordan
- Remote written review & feedback will be given from Sharron, Sean & Michael by Mon 24th April
- For remote feedback and review, Sharron and Sean will view work online over the weekend (22nd -23rd April). Both tutors will spend 20 mins viewing work and 15 mins to give written feedback. This means work needs to be clearly and coherently presented on your URL. An email will be sent and you will reply with your updated story/project form together with your story/project URL so we can view your work in full on your digital platform.
- Please prepare the following: Your multimedia platform URL. A CLEAR outline of how you will spend the editing week and what you will achieve
- NOTE: This stage is akin to the kind of professional editorial process that you would go through with an editor. This is your chance for a thorough editorial review to give you the feedback you need to polish your work. Very often students fail Term 2 or Term 3 projects, simply because of polish editing issues. They may have done some great reporting, but External Examiners assess work based on student’s stories/projects delivered online at final URLs as the final outcome – so if things are not well edited, presented and delivered online, students risk failing. The work for this ‘rough edit date’ means that your work will all be in place on your digital platform and edited to a high standard. Please make sure you have gone through some basic editing steps and of course that you have thoroughly gone through the Critiquing Multimedia checklist with your peer proofreading & editing partner. Any text needs to be thoroughly proofread to good standard English. To be blunt – If your English is poor, we will not review it and you will lose valuable feedback. We are here to review your journalism, not your English. If your English is still poor on your final submission, you can expect to fail. (This includes written work for text, video subtitles or infographics). Do not hand us in text without having it thoroughly proofread. ALL VIDEO AT THIS STAGE MUST BE SUBTITLED IN ENGLISH (unless the speaker is speaking English).
- Fri 21 April – Don’t forget your nut graph MUST be finalized and written on your project form by this date, this will help tutors to quickly grasp exactly what your story is about, and what’s important to communicate. It will help you to edit and prioritize the most important visuals and information – while understanding which content you can omit.
IMMJ T2W15 EDIT WEEK 3 (24-28 April 2017)
- Mon 24 April – Sean, Sharron and Michael to deliver written feedback to help you finalize editing
- Sat 29 April Final deadline. All projects online by midnight to be submitted via clearly identified links on Project forms uploaded to dropbox. Final submission for Project forms, all AdPrac & Adres sections to be complete.