You will need to bring your camera & manual, video suitable SD cards, fully charged batteries, tripod and have Adobe Premiere installed.
Monday AM: Review Video Project Assignments
Monday PM: Introduction to Advanced Video
Tuesday AM & PM: Practical Workshop for Advanced Video Techniques & Editing
Wednesday – Friday: Students Carrying out Advanced Video Weekly Assignment
This week’s learning outcomes — Students will:
– Become familiar with key cinematic techniques including, video portraits, focus switch, time lapse, slow motion, natural wipes, pan-tilts, and tracking.
– Begin to apply these techniques in a practical setting
– Learn about how to set-up different styles of interviews for use in journalism video projects.
Video feature in form of a ‘Video Profile’.
Find a fascinating, complex, quirky, inspiring or controversial person and show this person to the world.
Client: CGTN – 1.3 Billion Series
Length: 2–3 minutes
YOU MUST INCLUDE
– A Video Interview
– At least three cinematic techniques from this week’s class
– Well-crafted sequences. Not random B-Roll
– A profile video story with a beginning, middle, and end to the profile
– Pay attention to using a lav mic and getting good clean sound.
– Ask yourself, what is this person’s STORY? Why are they interesting? What is unique about them?
– Do you have a good hook (great visuals, and or interesting quote) at the beginning to get your audience’s attention?
– A satisfying ending
Sunday midnight — Please upload your file onto either YouTube or Vimeo and then embed it on your personal page. (Don’t forget to export your project using the H.264 and Vimeo/Youtube settings described in class, to ensure a manageable file size.
Below is a list of video profiles and stories that should help inspire you for this week’s assignment and class projects. These features have been chosen for their creativity and cinematic journalism attributes:
- Jonah Kessel — Tricycle Calligraphy
- Dominic Bracco — Peace in Juarez: Clarinetist Finds Refuge Amidst Mexico’s Drug Wars
- DJ Clark — The Archer: Bhutan’s national obsession
- Are you confused about the definition of a journalism profile story?