Monday, March 20th & Tuesday, March 21st – 360 video Workshop & Presentation 2
- M:10 am-12.30 am: Workshop/seminar – WRITING WORKSHOP 1 – DETERMINE MOVEMENT IN YOUR STORY; BACK IT UP WITH FACTS; IDENTIFY SOURCES “ON THE FRONT-LINES” with Michael Jordan
- M:1.30 pm-4 pm: Presentation 2: Outline your story: Deliver a tight story/project focus and outline & Production Plan / Production Methodology 2: (styles and approaches that you have chosen to emulate supported by your own tests) (Include your own tests of style/methodology/platforms etc). We will need to see your tests, based on examples from week 1. 10 mins per student. (6 mins presentation / 4 mins feedback)
- If you haven’t actually gone out and done any testing. Do not waste tutors or others students time by attending the presentation. You will be asked to leave and you will need to upload a video presentation on Thursday. If you fail to do this you may automatically be deferred to Term 3. Testing includes photography, graphics, platforms tests etc. You must include fresh testing based on the styles/techniques/ platforms you wish to emulate. You may show some old work, but we need to see new and story specific testing and experimentation.
- M:4.15 pm-5.30 pm: Workshop / seminar session – GENERAL REPORTING & ETHICAL GUIDELINES (Include interview set up and off record / on background etc)
- T:10.00 am-4.00 pm Practical Workshop – 360 VIDEO with Sarah Li (New York Times)
- T: 4.15 pm – 5.30: seminar session – SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT STRATEGIES with DJ Clark
- W: Homework – THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS. CALCULATE YOUR DAY-RATE
- F: Second draft of project forms online. It’s important your research questions are fixed to – Yan will feedback on the following Monday.
Required reading/preparation before class:
- Come prepared for Michael’s class with a written story focus
- Be very prepared for your presentation. Unprepared students will be asked to leave
- Print the IMMJ CODE OF ETHICS. We will read and sign in class
- Take a look at The Daily 360 From The New York Times, also download the NYT VR app on your phone. We have VR goggles in the class for optimal viewing.
Download and install:1) GoPro VR Player (free): To view 360 footage– If you have your own software to view the footage, you can skip this one.2) 360 VR Express (trial version): To edit 360 footage in Pr/FinalCutX– There will be watermarks but just to get an idea of stitching footage and editing.3) Mettle Plugins Installer (trial version): To add flat texts to 360 videos in After Effects (OPTIONAL)Mettle plugin tutorial:
- For your homework this week check out the NPPA’s guide and then go to the calculator tool. This will give you an idea of what you should be charging clients if you freelance.